Author Topic: Kulbutin  (Read 5433 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Kulbutin
« on: March 31, 2012, 13:14:39 PM »
Got myself a Kulbutin not so long ago. Crashed it big time on it’s maiden flight just after launch. :cry:  Second flight,  Joe launched  it for me. It crashed big time after about 10 seconds! :cry:  :cry:
You wont believe the cause of these highly destructive calamities,……… elevator servo operating in reverse! :oops:

Today I took this, now much bandaged and somewhat heavier model, out for another try.

The good news is , it flys & landed without any more damage  The bad news it that I’m not very impressed with it’s performance AND if I use full rudder she pitches nose up!
Now I know what you’re all thinking, “The rudder linkage is interfering with the elevator!” but it’s not. I’ve never had this with a model before. Makes no difference if I use left or right rudder, once I use more than about 70% of rudder control the nose pitches up and if left like that the planes stalls. :!:

Anyone got any ideas? :)
Please! :(

Keith
ps anyone want to buy a much abused Kulbutin? :wink:
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kulbutin
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 18:01:08 PM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
elevator servo operating in reverse! :oops:

I don't have an answer for your problem Keith, but I know what that feels like.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Kulbutin
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 19:30:11 PM »
Hey Keith,

Hard to judge, need to see it. I may put that down to a bad CofG  :?:
Bring it in April, we'll give it another go.
I'll buy it off you if we can't manage to fly that thing!  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Kulbutin
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 20:21:54 PM »
Hi Keith,
   love my Kulbutin, have it 5 years. You can try it in April if you like?
Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Kulbutin
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 21:53:46 PM »
Hmmm, thanks for your comments gentlemen. Did I say Gentlemen?!! :shock:  (I meant gentlemen and Fred!)(Don’t start crying Fred, I didn’t mean it. :D )

Good to know I’m not the only one getting servo reversing back to front Alan. Although it’s actually a bit scary. Why? :?:

When I finished assembling that Kulbutin I must have checked the elevator movement in the workshop. When I got to the slope I would have checked it again before it’s maiden flight.
After repairing the damage I would have checked all control movements in the workshop, and again at the slope before Joe launched it for me the second time.
After the second repair in the workshop I’d have checked all control movements and yet it wasn’t until the day before the third attempt that the cause  of the crashes suddenly hit me!

The reason I find that all so scary is because many years ago I was intent on getting a PPL and building my own mirco light plane. I wouldn’t have got three chances to get it right then, would I! :(

K.

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
Kulbutin
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 22:24:23 PM »
hey keith
i bought a flamingo 2006 model(the one i put in the tree last year
) from spire models cost a fortune to get it delivered to northern ireland
i used my winch for the maiden flight and i couldn't understand why the model went to the left on take off  :shock: after it hit the deck  :!:  dumb ass that i am tried it again cause i thought i had i crap launch from the winch  :lol: same thing happened again this time i creased both wings and after checking the the ailerons found out they where reversed  :!:  :!:  :!:
it took me well over a year to fix the model i was so gutted  :(
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Kulbutin
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 22:40:56 PM »
Ho! Ho! Ho!………. Oh Andrew, I’m sooo glad to know I’m not the only eejit in Ireland! :roll:

I know I shouldn’t laugh at other’s misfortunes, no doubt I shall get my comeuppance!
How can it be that such things are checked and checked, yet are still wrong? Maybe it’s what’s called  being a Human Being :wink: